Monday, July 16, 2007

Cocktail Anyone?

I remember when I was pregnant with my first child, I used to joke about how I was going to have a margarita waiting for me in the delivery room. I couldn't wait to taste that sweetness I had been deprived for 10 months! One thoughtful friend brought me blue margarita glasses, blue salt and pre-mixed margaritas to the hospital when she found out I had a boy (Cool gift!). I never did drink that margarita because, while I was done with pregnancy, I was now a milk machine and I couldn't bear the thought of producing tequila spiked colostrum for my newly born son! So my drought continued...

It wasn't like I drank often but it's nice to have "Margaritas and a Movie" with the girls and a cold beer at the end of a long day. And when you are denied something, it only makes you want it more. ( I get like that with great shoes too...) So, what's a "Newly Non-Drinking" girl to do? For starters, get yourself a copy of "The Newly Non-Drinking Girl's Guide to Pregnancy" by Jackie Rose and Caroline Angel, RN, PhD. Filled with 50 fun recipes for mocktails, you are sure to find the right mixture to counteract whatever pregnancy can throw at you!

Aside from the yummy mocktail recipes (Chocolate Maternitini anyone?), you'll read about how to get past the first-trimester blues, how to maintain a decent social life among your care-free friends, and what you need to know about resuming your indulgences once baby arrives (important stuff...read up!!). This book is witty. It offers up sound advice in a light way that will help you through your 40 weeks without a cosmopolitan.

I say, heed their advice about replacing the after-work cocktail with an after-work spa treatment! You may end your pregnancy completely addicted to facials and pedicures (if you weren't already!) but that's far more relaxing and healthy than a cocktail anyway. Plus, when you become a mom, you get mommy brain- no need to add alcohol to the mix...trust me on this one, it'll only make you tired!

If you'd like to win a copy of "The Newly Non-Drinking Girl's Guide to Pregnancy" email me your favorite mocktail and you are entered to win! Winner will be drawn at random on July 24, 2007. Cheers!